June 21, 2017
Outreach Meeting Wednesday
7:30 - 10:00pm
Minute taker: Fran
Fran calls meeting to order at 7:45pm
Attendees: Sara V. (Board Member), Laurel G. (store manager) , Melissa H. (Outreach member), Mari Pombo (Outreach member), Catalina C. (Outreach member), Chris Lepre (Outreach member), Fran S.(store manager)
Recap and evaluation of past events
- CEANYC annual meeting (Fran, Chris)
- Chris and Fran attended Member Meeting and Annual Recap presentation.
- BFC is in the CEANYC directory!
- Copies of the Coop Directory are available in store.
- CEANYC has been a great in terms of connections, resources, etc.
- Audrey Jo Health Fair (Fran)
- Recurring event, 4h year.
- Community presence event and networking with Julie Dent.
- Lancaster Farm Visit (Fran, Laurel)
- Visited a farm cooperative in PA, very fun!
- Future farm visits and field trips are in the works:
- Unity Coffee
- BK Grange
- Bio-Dynamic Farm visit
- Sure We Can (potential project)
- Community Earth Day (Charlotte, Chris)
- Continues to be a small event
- @ Irving Square Park
- Recurring event, 2nd year.
- NYC Associated organizations, Councilman Espinal
- New contact for healthy eating in schools (Chris Lepre has details)
- Ideas for Nutrition Education Avenues
- Mayday Festival of Resistance (Bruce, Jaclyn, Maria, Catalina)
- First time event
- Lots of interest from public
- Coop Benefit Show @ Bunna (Fran, Laurel)
- Successful event
- Proceeds collected ($580)went to Ujima Working Together, Inc. who bought prom dresses for a few teenage girls.
- Shape Up Bushwick (Laurel)
- Pleasant event
- Connecting with community partners
- Young audience
- 2nd year we attend
- Police did zumba
- Taste of Bushwick (Laurel, Cecilia, Lynn, Catalina)
- Complicated in terms of our mission statement - ticketed event ($50~)
- Very popular event, vendor samples.
- Community Board Meetings (Chris)
- Establishing community presence
- Letting people know we are part of the community
- Updates on community events :) YAY!
- Great opportunity to learn about Community happenings
- Interesting statistics
- Local Politics
- Next one is August
- Hosted at Hope Gardens Community Center
- Most organization that go up are service based organizations
- We can do more as a store
- We need to stress our cooperative model more than we already do
- Work with Board, Sara, to come up with a “statement” that explains this more to our audience
- “We have a voice” as shoppers and members.
- We need to come up with an “elevator speech”
- Coop “Summer Bash” @ Trans-Pecos (Fran, Laurel)
- $5 suggested donation
- July 16th, from 12-6pm
- Invite Vendors, Coop Partners, Coop Friends
- Family & Pet Friendly (find out about pets with Trans-Pecos)
- Assign Tasks
- Create To-Do List
- Summer MAFCA meeting (Laurel, Sara, Chris)
- Mid Atlantic Food Cooperative Alliance
- Outside Philly
- Big Summer Meeting in July (Check date on calendar)
- Laurel is driving
- Coordinate Car Pools
- Send Invite to overall membership
- Sourcing trips (Dor, Fran)
- BFC picnic @ Maria Hernandez Park (Laurel)
- Host a party, sometime in September.
- Tabled for next Outreach
- Inter-coop picnic @ Prospect Park (Sara)
- TBD, inter coop- city coops
- BBQ, cook-off
- Workshop sessions
- Mari Pombo (@ Trans-Pecos)
- Table at the event
- Food Fabric Dye station
Farmers Market (Laurel, Fran)
- Number of days present
- Products to sell
- Table beautification
- Trello Board (Chris)
- Start using it more aggressively
- Chris has offered to head projects
- We need an email manager:
- Melissa Helal has volunteered
- We need an email manager:
- Mailing lists
- Event follow-up, sign-up sheets and coupons.
- There are templates to send out a welcome email
- All coupons, sign-up sheets, etc, should be given to Fran or Laurel.
- Needs more revision
- Item tabled for next meeting
Social Media: item tabled for next meeting
- Follow-up about policies re: promoting outreach events